Pocket Prismatic MAG X6 Binoculars John Barton Patent E.B. MEYROWITZ LTD
This is an antique pair of Pocket Prismatic Mag. x6 binoculars, patented by John Barton.
These are in working condition; everything moves easily.
shows signs of age and wear, scratches and missing lens screw-on cap on the right side.
They were distributed by E. B. Meyrowitz Ltd, New York, London, Paris. Between 1897 and 1919 John Henry Barton was the most prolific of British patentees relating to binoculars. He was born in Cheshire in 1851 and remained in north west England until the early 1890s. The 1881 Census shows his occupation as a Clerk to a Calico Printer. By 1895 he and his family resided at 19 Honeywell Road, Wandsworth, London, not far from the west side of Clapham Common. Honeywell Road had been developed in the late 1880’s, most of the properties intended for the lower middle classes. January 19, 1895, J.H. Barton made his first (known) patent application for a moveable hood for use with Magic Lanterns. August 20, 1897, Barton, described as an Optician’s Assistant, applied for a Patent (1897/19255) in respect of his design for a prismatic binocular. This was just after the incorporation of Ross Ltd. in July. John Stuarts name as Managing Director of Ross Ltd. was added to the application in 1898. Ross Ltd manufactured this design as the first British prismatic binocular.